Friday 4 April 2008

Book Review

Bones to Ashes by Kathy Reichs
As a rule I don't like American novels, or perhaps I should put that another way, I don't like novels set in America, I prefer novels set in Britain or Ireland, because I have some idea of the setting. However, there are a few exceptions and one is the author Kathy Reichs. I have read all her books right from the first one - Deja Dead. I enjoyed the early Patricia Cornwell novels, but haven't enjoyed the later ones so much, and now prefer Kathy Reichs as a writer and her heroine Tempe Brennan. Although the subject matter can be grisly and there is plenty of forensic detail, she doesn't glory in it and treats the subjects of the pathology with due reverence. This latest one Bones to Ashes is excellent. It is set in Acadia the name given to a French-speaking former colonial territory in Northeastern North America that included parts of Eastern Quebec, the Maritime provinces, and modern-day New England.

No comments: