Monday 20 February 2012

Tiny Treasures from the Beach

Often find small fragments of china, pottery and coloured glass on the beach and wonder what they were part of, where did they come from, who they belonged to. If only they could speak and tell their story.
A larger fragment from a piece of pottery - a little picture in itself.
I liked the markings on this little piece of quartz, which is only around 3 inches high. For some reason it reminded me of a human figure. I thought I could see a face, two eyes and a mouth, at the top. I have found out that there is even a name for seeing faces in inanimate objects - it's called pareidolia. We are programmed from birth to look for the human face so we recognise it in clouds, radiator grills etc.

A circle or square containing some straight lines representing the features is enough for us to recognise it as a face.

... and I also liked this heart-shaped little stone.

No comments: