Sunday 13 January 2008

A pantomime and a book

Mother Goose
Friday was a night out for the team that I work with. After at an Italian pre-theatre supper at the excellent Pane e Vino in Hunter Street Kirkcaldy, we adjourned to the Adam Smith Theatre for the pantomime. This particular night was for adults only and it was a full house. As a child I was not keen on pantos. I always wished they'd get on with the story, instead of all that mucking about. However, I quite enjoyed this. The local jokes. The lapses into the vernacular. The excellent young dance troupe. It was a moral tale. Money and beauty do not make for happiness. In the end good triumphs over evil.
Very frosty night so drove home through Coaltown and East Wemyss, rather than the dreaded Standing Stanes Road. A fox crossed in front of the car in East Wemyss.

The Officer's Daghter by Zina Rohan
I thought I should start writing short reviews of the books that I've enjoyed. If I've read a book that I've enjoyed I look for more by the same author. Trouble is I can't always remember which one I've read. If I've reviewed them in the blog I'll be able to look back to the ones I've already read.
This is not the kind of book I usually read, but it was recommended to me at the Library in Lundin Links. I thoroughly enjoyed The Officer's Daghter, particularly the early part of the book, when the heroine Marta is transported to a logging camp, then cotton fields in Russia (one of Stalin's great ideas!), and then on to a British field hospital in Iran. I thought the strength of the book was the way it conveyed the fact that in wartime, people are taken over by the tide of events and have no choice in the matter. I didn't think that the love-triangle which develops between Marta, a Polish soldier and an Iranian doctor worked so well (but perhaps I'm just not into romantic fiction) and in the end I thought the book rather petered out.
Score 8 out of 10

No comments: