Sunday 20 January 2008

Pink-footed goose, Red-breasted merganser, Cormorant

Several interesting sightings on my walk today. There was a single pink-footed goose swimming in the harbour at Lower Largo. Pink-footed geese are usually in large groups, and it's unusual to see one on it's own, so although it didn't appear to be injured, perhaps there was something wrong. I first noticed it standing amongst the rocks opposite the pier. It then swam out to sea, and as I followed it with the binoculars, I saw a male red breasted merganser, just off the pier. There were also cormorants on the rocks, one with wings outspread. as I walked home a weasel or a stoat (weasel I think) darted acoss my path, chestnut coat and creamy-white underbelly.
Cormorants on the rocks.

Red-breasted merganser (front of picture) and pink-footeed goose (swimming away)

Pink-footed goose

No comments: