Friday 8 February 2008

Book Review

Lazybones by Mark Billingham
Probably the best word to describe a Mark Billinham novel is gritty. They feature DI Tom Thorne and are set in London which is quite unusual, (Morse - Oxford, Rebus - Edinburgh). I am sure that there must be others, particularly amongst novels set in Victorian times, but the only other detective working in London that comes readily to mind is Sherlock Holmes. This is the third novel in the series that I have read, and I have enjoyed them all. Although in the last few chapters I began to suspect what was going to happen, he builds up the tension very well and the end is terrifying.
Particularly enjoyed the previous Mark Billingham novel that I read - Lifeless. In that one Thone goes undercover amongst the down and outs in London to try to find out who is killing ex-servicemen. It describes what life is like for the homeless in London very well.
********
Previously read in the series
Scaredy cat
Lifeless

No comments: