Wednesday 13 February 2008

Snowdrops at Cambo

One of the glorious sights of the Winter in Fife is the Snowdrop Spectacular at Cambo. Snowdrops, snowflakes and aconites carpet the 70 acres of woodland at the Estate, which is between Crail and St Andrews. The bulbs were planted by the grandmother of the present owner of the estate. This annual event is now part of the Scottish Snowdrop Festival which showcases some of the very best snowdrop gardens, woodlands and estates across Scotland.
Today at Cambo, the weather was beautiful - crisp, clear and sunny - and the snowdrops were at their best.

Snowdrops line the banks of the Cambo burn which runs down to the sea

Vast drifts of snowdrops lie on both sides of the path that runs alongside the burn.
This picture shows the density of the snowdrops.
The burn runs down through woodland to a rocky shore

3 comments:

Shirley said...

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing these photos, I have always wondered what the Cambo snowdrops were like :-)

I visited Dalmeny to see the snowdrops two weekends ago and posted photos on my blog too and have been very surprised at the response. Walking through snowdrops growing in numbers like this is really quite an experience :-D

Thanks also for adding shirls gardenwatch to you links. I was delighted to find your blog showing what your part of Fife looks like - especially when it is near the sea :-D

Largo observer said...

Thanks Shirl,
Glad you liked the photos.
It was really the mention of your blog in the Craigie column in the Courier that inspired me to start blogging. I had always thought that blogs were rather dull things until I looked at yours, and thought I would like to try it. It has certainly made me open my eyes and look more closely at the natural world on my doorstep.

Shirley said...

Gosh, what can I say!

Thank-you, I am so glad that you have tried this for yourself. Without a shadow of doubt by writing a blog it does make you open your eyes - just think what we have been missing before now.

I am preparing a post on Perthshire at the moment and have discovered some intersting things there too! I wish you well with your blog and hope that you continue to enjoy it :-D