Sunday 20 May 2012

Black Guillemot at Oban

A very poor quality photo but it was taken through a window of a guest house in Oban. There was a pair of these birds swimming close to the esplanade. I couldn't identify them until I saw Countryfile this evening when they were featured on the wildlife of Galloway and I realised that I had seen black guillemots or tysties (Cephus grylle). The smallest of the auks they are striking birds with white wing patch and bright red legs and I've since read that they are a common sight along the shore and harbour at Oban.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are surely more animals to see during oban wildlife trips. Oban has a very diverse ecosystem. You'll see amazing animals, birds and more. Kids would love it and they're very much welcome.

Largo observer said...

Yes, we have taken many trips to see the wildlife from Oban and Mull in the past and have always enjoyed them.